Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Nice tie, dude! Harry Rosen? You're hired!


Trussardi 1911, fall RTW 2010

Today eurotrash had an interview for a summer job in Spain. Full disclosure: she is ostensibly signing up for a position at a summer camp where she'll be teaching dance lessons and english to 10 year old spaniards that just so happens to pay for her roundtrip airfare and just so happens to allow her to extend her trip past snack times and organized rec...

In preparation for the interview this morning eurotrash was faced with the dreaded task of picking out an outfit, which she most certainly left 'til the last minute. In her mind it went a little something like this: dress trendy and don't get the job; dress like you don't know how to dress and you're hired! Why is it that proper interview wear is so banana republic? A pinstripe shirt, pencil skirt, pointy-toe pumps, A-line button down jacket and a Life brand handbag actually crossed my mind this morning. I knew that outfit would be the safest bet; I also knew that I would probably jump the subway tracks on the way there when I saw my reflection in every other person standing on the platform... So, against my better judgment, I put on a grungy pair of PINKO leather boots and my jeggings.

Why is it that once people see you know how to dress they write you off as incapable of anything else? I'll never forget the time one of my professors tried to make an analogy between Immanuel Kant and Kate Spade when I met with him to discuss a thesis proposal, as if I would better understand if he broke it down in terms of the fashion industry. The only reason I actually didn't understand was because, well frankly, who gives a rat's ass about Kate Spade anyway? I don't know her collection from Adam and I certainly didn't know about the polka-dot reference he was making to her aesthetic.

Now, if he had used Trussardi 1911, well then maybe I would've benefitted from such protean didacticism. Speaking of which, ever since its comeback this September, eurotrash has sort of fallen in love with the line's quasi-Chanel handbags. They've got that I-would-jump-the-subway-tracks-if-I-was-wearing-the-same-thing-as-you chic. Come to think of it, other than the big price tag, that's probably why I haven't made the back to back C plunge yet. But unlike the pinstripe shirt, a Chanel bag is definitely something you don't want to wear to an interview, because c'mon, you at least want to look as though you need a job.

2 comments:

  1. I believe employers find it difficult to imagine a hard working, intelligent being that is capable of simultaneously dressing fashionable. I agree, dress like a complete idiot equals getting hired. Dress like you know a little thing or two about fashion equals this person is way too dumb to have a job.

    On a side note. Despite a common misconception that an aesthetically pleasing individual would find it easier to get a job, on the contrary, an ugly person is more likely to get hired. I don't know what's up with that. Maybe managers feel threatened by a younger, better looking person. Who knows. but on second thought, this can easily be tied into the dressing well idea. most good looking people know how to dress well, whereas an ugly person seems to reflect that in their wardrobe.

    whatever works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This brings me to one of my theories about makeover shows like What Not To Wear and 10 Years Younger (I love TLC). When I watch some of these people I think to myself: "No way they go around like that, how could they just let themselves sink into such an unsightly state"... I really think it's because they are afraid to see their full potential, because they might not actually be good-looking once you remove rotten teeth, style their hair and give them a new wardrobe.

    If you can hide behind an ugly mask you never have to face what ultimate degree of beauty you can't attain. People find comfort in the thought that all they'd have to do is fix their hair a bit, lose weight etc and they could look a lot better. Why don't they, right? You'd think human beings would be naturally drawn to attaining beauty. TLC, proving Kantian aesthetics wrong one episode at a time.

    Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails